|Brought to you by The Great Black Speakers Bureau, the #1 black speakers bureau in the world. To join the Your Black World Coalition, please visit YourBlackWorld.net|
The Latest from the Your Black World Network
Quick note from Dr. Boyce:
My respected colleague and truly amazing scholar, Julianne Malveaux is going to be on Book TV on C-Span tomorrow (Sunday) from noon till 3 pm EST. Julianne was the first black public scholar I’d ever seen or heard of in my life. Her book, “S*x Lies and Stereotypes” changed the trajectory of my entire career.
I am honored to call her a friend and I hope you will support her tomorrow.
Also, we are showing the Janks Morton film, “Hoodwinked” in Washington DC on September 6th at the Avalon Theatre at 8 pm. The address is 5612 Connecticut Ave. I am in the film, along with Steve Perry, Marc Lamont Hill, Jawanza Kunjufu and Ivory Toldson.
The film is very good and is an absolute must-see when it comes to defacing the negative stereotypes that we’ve been trained to believe about our people. Janks hit the nail on the head with this one, and I consider it to be one of the most important black films of the decade. If you live in the DC area, I hope you’ll come out and join us. If not, I’ll put some copies on sale via Your Black World within the next two weeks. The film is not only entertaining and thought-provoking, it’s a one-of-a-kind teaching tool that can be used to help all of us understand how our negative perceptions of one another can impede our ability to progress as a community.
When I decided to engage in the long trek to obtaining a PhD, it was because I hoped to one day use my expertise to participate in projects like this one that help to elevate the thinking in our community and give us keys to escape psychological slavery. I’m inspired by the scholars who stepped to the plate.
Until we meet again, please stay strong, be blessed and be educated.
Michael Gunn has filed a lawsuit after experiencing something he says should have ended a long time ago. Gunn said that his landlord’s…
St. Kitts and Nevis sprinter Kim Collins was once one of the top sprinters on the planet, winning the 100-meter world title in…
Some might be focused on the fact that they think that Gabby Douglas has had…
“American Idol” winner, Jordin Sparks, recently sat down with the writers of “Shape” magazine to…
You ever feel super safe and secure with your precious iPhone, knowing that your password is yours and yours alone, uncrackable by nearly anyone? After all, Apple’s a…
The Mars Rover has traveled 354 million miles, at 13,200 miles per hour. That’s quite a distance to travel and quite a fast way to go. Now, NASA…
Kulture Kritic reported on the psychological impact of solitary confinement on prisoners when the U.S. Senate held its first ever hearing on the…
Jared Lee Loughner is expected to plead guilty this week to the shooting in Arizona that killed 6 people and injured 13. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) was the…
- Twitterers Attack Gabby Douglas for Having “Bad Hair”
- Serena Williams is New Model for NFL’s Women’s Apparel Campaign
- Bronner Brothers Have Been in Business for 65 Years and are as Strong as Ever
- The (Ree)lationship Guide: Identifying the ‘Bathroom Lover’
- Woman Loses her Job, Her Hair and Her Breasts, but Then She Found Herself
- 2 Things We Can Learn from Singer Jordin Sparks About Weight-Loss
- Raven Symone Reportedly Wants Michelle Obama to Officiate Her Marriage to Another Woman
- No, Janet Jackson Did NOT Slap Her Niece, Paris
- The (Ree)lationship Guide Explains Why “Good” Guys are Easily Overlooked (Video)
- Three Reasons to Consider Being ‘Natural’- If You Haven’t Already
The wife of Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. is starting to speak out to the public for the first time since her husband’s public health ordeal. Sandi Jackson, who is both Congressman Jackson’s wife and an alderman on the Southside of Chicago, wanted to clear the air on her husband’s condition. She wanted to make sure, […]
by Yvette Carnell Black people have been here, what? 400 years? And we still don’t have a strong presence on Capitol Hill, leaving our issues in the hands of the sputtering and stuttering Ben Jealous, and the hustling Jesse Jackson? Is this a serious approach to politics? And, a better question; how’s that working out […]
A prominent mega-church pastor has been busted for doing inappropriate things with a 16-year old church member. Dr. Jack Schaap was caught after another Deacon found his cell…
Yvette Carnell In this video, Martin Luther King Jr. discusses how the government has broken its promise to black people, and how it has given away land to white poor people from Europe, mostly by way of loans with low interest rates, grants, and federal subsidies, but never gave the Negro any aid, not even […]
June 30, 2012 64 Comments
In this video, Min. Louis Farrakhan speaks about the dumbing down of America. Farrakhan is controversial, but typically respected by most African Americans. How can a man who is so ostracized get so much respect? It might be because the things he’s saying make sense to millions of black people. Recently, Farrakhan spoke about President […]
Logan West, am 18-year-old from Connecticut, was crowned the 2012 Miss Teen USA. The competition…
Everyone seems to believe being “natural”, i.e. ceasing usage of chemical products, is a fad…
More Black News
- Serena Williams’ Win Was Most Lopsided in Women’s Olympic History
- Serena Wins Gold and then Crip Walks??!!!
- Man Uses Tractor to Level 7 Police Cruisers
- Al Thompson: Young Filmmaker Brings Exciting Web Series about Life in Harlem
- Meagan Good Talks About Life as Pastor’s Wife; Says She Was Told She Was ‘a little bit too sexy’
- Did NBC Air a Monkey Gymnastics Ad Right After Gabby’s Win?
- Where’s Gabby’s Dad? He’s Right Where He’s Supposed to Be
- The (Ree)lationship Guide: Is Gabby Douglas’ Mom the ‘Typical’ Single Mom? No, She’s Not
- Dr. Boyce: Gabby Douglas’ Mom Made Sacrifices to See Her Child Succeed
- Evander Holyfield Forced to Auction Off His Olympic Medal
- Singer Eric Benet Catches Heat for Professing Affection to “Red Bone Girls”
- Ask a Black Man: How to Know If Your Man is Already “Occupied”
A new Your Black World/Kulture Kritic poll shows that the majority of African Americans are disappointed in the state of black leadership in America. Participants were asked, ‘Are you happy with the state of black leadership in America?” A total of 85 percent of poll respondents said that they were either unhappy or extremely unhappy […]
July 27, 2012 32 Comments
A father in the Bronx was confronted with his worst nightmare after finding out that his son had died on the tennis court. The 14-year old boy was killed in a park, with a tennis racket in his hand. “He was the best kid you could ask for,” Cassell Brooks, 50, said referring to his […]
With the rate of unemployment reaching record highs across the country in the last few years, many men are at home while the women in their lives are at work. If you look at the statistics in Black communities, the statistics get worse-much worse. The rate of unemployment among Black men has been at a […]